To our valued RSL Awards Community,
We sincerely hope our global network of teachers, examiners and all our candidates are in good health, both in the UK and across the world.
Yesterday, the UK government announced that the UK appears to have reached the peak of the coronavirus. However, challenging times are still ahead.
We wanted to let you know that despite all the current restrictions in place, Rockschool is committed to ensuring our candidates can still achieve the qualification they have worked so hard for.
At this time, our priority is ensuring our customers continue to get the very best service we can provide. Our teams, although working remotely, are fully operational and happy to discuss via phone or email any issues you may have. We're currently focusing our attention and resources on making sure we provide our very best academically rigorous online teaching materials and solutions to help you or your teacher prepare for your exams. Please visit our website or feel free to get in touch with us.
Our support for the NHS
As a team, we are humbled by the courageous acts of the NHS and we are excited to announce that we will donate £5 to the NHS National Fund for every exam entered over this difficult period.*
Latest update on exams
If you’ve booked a face to face graded music exam with us, you can choose to change your submission to a video exam or keep your exam on hold until you can go to your allocated venue, which we hope will be over the summer.
The Rockschool online video submission platform is now fully operational, allowing candidates to achieve their qualification anytime. The online video submission platform has been fully embraced by our teachers and candidates and we are now receiving hundreds of entries via this medium.
This new platform provides an excellent target for children who are practicing hard at home as they can achieve a real qualification in a convenient and accessible way. The qualification is fully approved by Ofqual and if candidates achieve a pass (or better) at grades 6, 7 or 8 of the Performance certificate, they come complete with UCAS points as well. Our Rockschool examiners will mark these exams remotely and will also provide a personal feedback video for every candidate as well as the normal mark sheet and certificate.
If you haven’t yet seen this fantastic platform, here’s how it works - candidates have the option of two types of recorded exam:
• Performance Certificate (Debut – Grade 8): Candidates must record and upload five performance pieces (up to three can be free choice pieces)
• Graded Certificate (Debut – Grade 5): Candidates must record and upload three performance pieces (up to two free choice pieces) and all of the technical exercises in the Rockschool Gradebook
Both of these exams can be recorded at a time and place that suits the candidate simply by submitting a continuous, unedited video recording of all the appropriate prepared elements in a similar way to a standard face-to-face exam. The same assessment criteria will be applied, but candidates will not be required to do the Unseen Tests.
To register for a video exam, please click here and fill in an online form with all the details about the candidate and the exam (instrument, grade).
As the lockdown continues, we have been doing lots of extra things to make your Rockschool experience as accessible as possible and to keep you ‘rocking on!’
• We’ve extended our discount on Replay, our interactive practice tool.
• We’ve launched the new Rockschool Ukulele Syllabus, Debut to Grade 8 – providing repertoires that are fun to play and academically rigorous for this great little instrument.
• If your exam was postponed because of lockdown in March, we hope these will go ahead in June or July. If you wish to convert your postponed face to face exam to a video exam you can do this free of charge and if you’re practising hard and want to move up a grade, you can also do this free of charge too.
• Watch out for our competitions! The brilliant winners of the iPad competition and the Ukulele competition have been notified, but there are more on the way so keep checking our website and social media channels. Rockschool video exams are available to do anywhere, anytime.
Thanks for your continued loyalty to Rockschool. In these tough times, you can rely on us to keep you enjoying your music and achieving your goals.
*Please note: there is no entry deadline for video exams, though we do require a submission no later than one month after entry. This pledge only applies to UK & Ireland exam entries made between 23rd April and 31st May.*