Please read through the following page if you are thinking of performing a piece of repertoire not published by Rockschool in its Vocals books.
This checklist has been devised to help you assess whether or not the repertoire you have chosen to play meets the criteria established for Performance Pieces in the grade.
If there is any doubt, please contact Rockschool on 0345 460 4747 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Indicates that noted point be included in all free choice pieces. Other points are discretionary, depending on other elements of the piece chosen. If not all requirements are included in the notation, candidates may use improvisation sections to incorporate these into the piece Essential
- The piece must be performed to a backing track *
- A copy of the backing track must be provided to the examiner on a CD/DVD or iPod*
- The piece must exist in a notated copy and this sheet music must be provided to the examiner on the day of the exam *
- The piece must demonstrate consistent/maintained tone *
- The piece must make use of solid chest voice *
- The piece should cover a range of at least a 5th
- The piece should make use of small intervals
- The piece must allow for some dynamic changes *
- The piece should include some simple phrasing
- Candidates will need to bring the sheet music and a backing track (without the examined vocal part) to the exam for all Free Choice Pieces, including pieces chosen from the wider repertoire
- iPods, CDs/DVDs are all acceptable for backing tracks and we would suggest that a second source is brought as a backup
- Candidates are not permitted to choose all Performance Pieces from the wider repertoire and own choice pieces
Note! Please send your music at least three weeks prior to the examination date for a prompt response.