Info: Please send your music at least three weeks prior to the examination date for a prompt response.
Please read through the following page if you’re thinking of performing a piece of repertoire not published by Rockschool in its Guitar pack.
This checklist has been devised to help you assess whether or not the repertoire you have chosen to play meets the criteria established for performance pieces in the grade.
If there is any doubt, please contact Rockschool on 0345 460 4747 or email@example.com.
Section A: Essential Elements
If you answer “No” to any of the following questions the piece is unsuitable for use in the grade examination. If you answer “Yes” to all of them then please proceed to the next section.
- Is the piece between 48 and 64 bars long?
- Is the piece performed with a backing track?
- Is the backing track on CD?
- Is the backing track minus the Guitar part?
- Does the piece exist in a notated copy?
Section B: Performance Elements
The piece must feature 6 of the following 8 aspects as specified.
If your piece does not have the number of the physical and expressive techniques specified it is unsuitable for use in the examination. If it does meet the criteria set out in the Practical Performance Elements and Performance Elements sections, it should be suitable for use in the examination.
- Use of pick and fingers of the picking hand
- Picking hand damping techniques
- Fretting hand damping techniques
- Alternative picking
- Ability to move between chords and single notes
- Use of double stops on non-adjacent strings
- Use of syncopated 8th and 16th note rhythms
- Barre chords
- String tapping
- Legato and fretting hand legato
- Staccato as required
- Accented notes
- Use of dynamics: very soft to very loud
- Use of controlled bends
- Use of blues and pentatonic scales in solos
- Natural and false harmonics
Songs should contain a mixture of:
- Whole, half, quarter, 8th and 16th notes, dotted half, quarter and 8th notes and associated rests
- Tied whole notes, quarter note triplets and associated rests
- Use of syncopation and swung 16th notes and triplet 16th notes
- 4/4 time signatures; at least one time signature variation, including 3/4, 5/4, 6/4 and 7/8 time
- Complete mastery of the fingerboard
- Is there a solo section of at least 16 bars?
If you are still in any doubt, please email a copy of your notated part to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note! Please send your music at least three weeks prior to the examination date for a prompt response.