Info: Please send your music at least three weeks prior to the examination date for a prompt response.
Please read through the following page if you’re thinking of performing a piece of repertoire not published by Rockschool in its Guitar pack.
This checklist has been devised to help you assess whether or not the repertoire you have chosen to play meets the criteria established for performance pieces in the grade.
If there is any doubt, please contact Rockschool on 0345 460 4747 or email@example.com.
Section A: Essential Elements
If you answer “No” to any of the following questions the piece is unsuitable for use in the grade examination. If you answer “Yes” to all of them then please proceed to the next section.
- Is the piece more than two minutes and less than three minutes long?
- Is the piece performed with a backing track?
- Is the backing track on CD?
- Is the backing track minus the Bass part?
- Does the piece exist in a notated copy?
Section B: Performance Elements
The piece must feature at least 8 of the 12 physical techniques, plus 4 of the 6 expressive techniques.
If your piece does not have at least 8 of the physical techniques plus 4 of the expressive techniques it is unsuitable for use in the examination. If it does have at least 8 of the physical techniques plus 4 of the expressive techniques, and meets the criteria in section A, it should be suitable for use in the examination.
- Advanced left and right hand co-ordination in a slap percussive style
- Advanced damping techniques
- Use of two, three or four fingers of picking hand as required
- Double stops (3rds, 5ths, 6ths, 8ves and 10ths)
- Triple stops (triads inversions etc, voicings of 7th chords)
- Thumb and muting techniques
- Fretted hand damping for dead notes
- Smooth string crossing when playing 6ths, 7ths and 8ves and extended intervals advanced slap & pop techniques using open strings and stopped notes, 7ths, 8ves and 10ths
- Right and left hand dead notes and damping
- Hammer ons and pull offs, slides, cross-string hammers, thumb pops and index and middle finger slaps (at least half of these)
- Advanced control of legato/staccato
- Phrasing and dynamics (ppp-fff)
- Slurs and trills by hammer ons and pull offs using open strings: minor and major, and 2nds and minor 3rds
- Tone manipulation using picking hand
- Accented notes
- Songs should include solo passages using any mode(s) as appropriate moving by step and leap over a suitably wide range
If you are still in any doubt, please email a copy of your notated part to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note! Please send your music at least three weeks prior to the examination date for a prompt response.