Info: Please send your music at least three weeks prior to the examination date for a prompt response.
Please read through the following page if you’re thinking of performing a piece of repertoire not published by Rockschool in its Guitar pack.
This checklist has been devised to help you assess whether or not the repertoire you have chosen to play meets the criteria established for performance pieces in the grade.
If there is any doubt, please contact Rockschool on 0345 460 4747 or email@example.com.
Section A: Essential Elements
If you answer “No” to any of the following questions the piece is unsuitable for use in the grade examination. If you answer “Yes” to all of them then please proceed to the next section.
- Is the piece between 2’00” – 2’20” long??
- Is the piece performed with a backing track?
- Is the backing track on CD?
- Is the backing track minus the Bass part?
- Does the piece exist in a notated copy?
Section B: Performance Elements
The piece must feature most of the following.
If your piece does not have at least six of the requirements in Section B it is not suitable for the examination.
- Accurate left and right hand co-ordination
- Even use of fingers in picking hand when playing semiquavers
- Fretted hand damping for dead notes
- Use of syncopated eighth and 16th note feels
- Competent control of legato/staccato
- Good understanding and control of dynamics (pp-ff)
- Accented notes
- Simple slides
- Fretting hand vibrato
- Hammer on and pull offs
- Use of slapped notes
- Use of pulled notes
- Does the piece contain a mixture of whole, half, quarter, eighth notes, as well as dotted half, quarter and eighth notes with more advanced use of eighth and 16th note syncopations
If you are still in any doubt, please email a copy of your notated part to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note! Please send your music at least three weeks prior to the examination date for a prompt response.